Mbuji-Mayi, Democratic Republic of the Congo
Mbuji-Mayi, the capital city of Kasai Oriental Province is the third largest city in the country. The name Mbuji-Mayi is derived from the local language and it means “Goat water”, which comes from the large number of goats in the region. Mbuji-Mayi was founded in the year 1914. Mbuji-Mayi was earlier called Bakwanga and is located on the Mbuji-Mayi River. Diamonds were first discovered in this area in 1907, so Mbuji-Mayi is also known as the city of diamonds. The Mbuji- Mayi lies in the Luba Country on the Sankuru River. The area where the city stands today was a small group of villages owned by the Bakwanga clan.
- Hotel Bassora –This hotel is located in a calm environment at amazing prices.
- Motel Nkumbi Nkumbi- This motel boasts of an onsite restaurant and free Wi-Fi service.
- Hotel Equinox- The hotel is a quality accommodation located in Diuli. The restaurant serves a wide variety of dishes.
- Restaurant 4 Saisons
- New Number One.
- Resto- Cyber Café Centre De Formation SQS.
- Cassava with meat, fish, vegetables and legumes.
Mbuji-Mayi is the third largest Democratic Republic of Congo. In spite of that they are able to maintain the African culture and beauty.
The best time to visit Mbuji-Mayi is May to September which is the dry season. The closest airport is Mbuji-Mayi which is about 5 kilometers away from the town. Car hire, buses or taxi are also easily available here.